At Send a Cow & Tusk, we value your support and we are committed to protecting your privacy.
We want to help you understand how we use the information we hold about you and how you can get in touch with us about your preferences.
We adhere to all applicable laws concerning the protection of your personal data and in line with your rights as an individual. As part of our data protection policies, you must be 18 years of age or over to make a donation through our website.
Please read the information below to find out more.
Our Right of Access policy explains how to make a subject access request to Send a Cow & Tusk and how we will process your request.
Send a Cow are registered as a Charity in England and Wales, and our registration number is: 299717.
Tusk are registered as a Charity in England and Wales, and our registration number is: 803118.
Send a Cow are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioners Office, and our Data Protection Register number is: Z8087448. Any data that we collect will be used in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation which came into force on 25th May 2018.
Tusk are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioners Office, and our Data Protection Register number is: Z1508455. Any data that we collect will be used in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation, which came into force on 25th May 2018.
Any electronic direct marketing communications will be made in accordance with the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR)
If you have any queries about this Notice or how we process your personal information please contact our Supporter Care Team
Write: Send a Cow & Tusk, The Old Estate Yard, Newton St Loe, Bath, BA2 9BR, United Kingdom
Call: 01225 874222
Alternatively you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to raise any matter with our Data Protection Group
You have the following rights under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation which comes into force on May 25th 2018
- The right to be informed how Personal Data is processed
- The right of access to your Personal Data
- The right to edit and update your personal information
- The right to have your personal information deleted
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to object
- The right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
The sections above explain more about how Send a Cow & Tusk processes your data in line with your rights as an individual.
We collect the personal information you provide us with as part of online purchases and donations, through donation forms, e-newsletter sign up’s, registering for events, surveys and meetings with our staff. We also collect how you want to hear from us (your preferences.)
The personal information we collect may include:
- Title & Name
- Postal address, email address, telephone number and mobile number
- Family & spouse/partner details, relationships to other donors or organisations
- Current interests and activities relevant to Send a Cow & Tusk’s work and our fundraising
- We will ask you to confirm that you are 18 or over when making a donation through our website. This is to ensure that we do not use the personal information of a minor for marketing purposes.
We also collect and hold information about the contact you make and activities you take part in with Send a Cow & Tusk and this may consist of:
- Donation details
- Online purchase details
- Event registration/attendance
- Direct Debit details where applicable
- Gift Aid status
- Gifts in Will information
- Details of correspondence sent to you or received from you
- Responses to surveys sent to you
- Any other information provided by yourself that is relevant to your relationship with Send a Cow & Tusk
In addition, for a small number of contacts, we may carry out further research using publicly available sources to understand how we can communicate in a meaningful way. Find out more about why and how we carry out research below under what we do with your data.
We may process the personal information you provide or that we may collect from publically available sources to support our legitimate interest in delivering Send a Cow & Tusk’s charitable mission. We process data to enable us to administer your donations correctly, and to help us build a positive relationship by contacting you in a way that is personal and relevant to support our fundraising. This also helps Send a Cow & Tusk to be as efficient as possible in using its resources for marketing and other contact with supporters. We will only process your data where we have a legal basis to do so. You have a right to object to how we use your data and can change your preferences at any time by contacting us. There are some communications that we are required to send regardless of your preferences. These are essential communications, deemed necessary to fulfil our legal and administrative obligations to you. This would include Direct Debit confirmations and advanced notices, thank you letters, Gift Aid confirmation letters and querying returned mail, incomplete cheques or bounced Direct Debit payments with you. There may be occasions where we are required to collect your email and telephone number to complete an order such as on our website. In these cases we will always ask for your permission to use that information for other purposes such as sending you marketing communications.
In order to claim Gift Aid on your donations from the HMRC, we need to hold records of your name and address, your tax status and donation details. Ensuring this information is accurate ensures that we claim Gift Aid correctly and can increase the value of the donations you give to us.
We need to hold information about donations that you give to us to meet financial auditing requirements but also to help us understand how you support Send a Cow & Tusk so that we can talk to you about fundraising and supporting our work in a way that is relevant to you.
We may hold information about your particular areas of interest so we can send information to you about those aspects of our work. For example if you tell us you have a particular link with Kenya, we may then contact you in the future about a new Kenya project we are setting up.
We hold your address details so that we can post newsletters, appeals and other information to you. We will also hold your address information on our database so that if you request us to no longer contact you, we can keep a record to ensure we remove you from any mailings in the future.
All the information we keep is stored on a secure database held on a server within the EU. If you donate from outside of the UK, your data will be stored on this system and in line with European Data Protection Directives. Depending on your relationship with Send a Cow & Tusk, and the preferences you have indicated, data we hold may be used by us for the following purposes to support Send a Cow & Tusk’s charitable mission and for your benefit to ensure that we process your donation correctly and contact you in a way that is personal and relevant. Whenever we process data we will always consider your personal rights and you have a right to object to the way that we use your data if you wish by contacting us. Send you promotional, marketing or fundraising information by post, telephone or electronic means. These types of communications can include:
- News and updates about Send a Cow & Tusk, such as our newsletters and monthly e-newsletters.
- Fundraising appeals or to ask you to consider supporting us in other ways such as taking part in events
- Other relevant communications based upon your relationship with Send a Cow & Tusk
- Informing you of other activities, or events related to Send a Cow & Tusk such as volunteering, retail and corporate partnerships
- Data screening and cleansing. We regularly review our records to ensure they are as accurate as possible. We may consult alternative sources in order to undertake these checks such as:
- Royal Mail National Change of Address database (NCOA) to ensure that we don’t send mail to old addresses
- Deceased Records (Mortascreen) to ensure that we do not cause upset by contacting somebody who has recently deceased
- Tailoring what we tell you about. We may use existing data about your previous engagement with Send a Cow & Tusk to find relevant information for particular activities or to tailor communication. Examples might be:
- That you live in a particular postcode catchment near to an event we are holding
- That you previously gave to a match funded appeal (such as DFID Aid Match) which we have the opportunity to repeat
- To send you surveys, and for market research purposes
- Tools may be used to monitor the effectiveness of our communications with you, including email tracking, which records when an e-newsletter from us is opened and/or how many links are clicked within the message. The data from this tracking is generally used in an aggregated and anonymized form.
- Research to help us understand our donors and potential donors.
If you do not want Send a Cow & Tusk to do research or profiling work in relation to your information, you can tell us by emailing email@example.com. To help you decide, the following explains how and why we do this work and in what circumstances. Being targeted and appropriate in our fundraising is more cost effective for Send a Cow & Tusk, helping us to support more farming families and wildlife in Africa. We may combine the information you have given us with other publicly available information using sources such as The Charity Commission, Companies House and company websites. We will use this information to create a profile of your interests and preferences, where they are relevant to engaging with Send a Cow & Tusk. We do this to help us determine whether and in what ways you might be interested in helping us. Examples might be:
- That you are a director of a company with an agricultural focus
- That you are a trustee of a grant making trust that exists to support development work in Africa
- That you are a known philanthropist with an interest in and potential to give to our work
- Our Send a Cow & Tusk fundraising staff carry out this work in house. Such research would be carried out where we have an opportunity to engage at a significant level or depth (so we do not research or profile the majority of our donors or other interested parties). Examples might be:
- When you are meeting with our CEO or a trustee or engaging with our Senior Advisory Group
- When you have been referred by an existing high level Send a Cow & Tusk donor in your peer group who has introduced you to our work and you would like to meet with us
- When you have self-identified through a high level gift or other senior level engagement
- We also do this work to try to minimize any negative impact on your relationship with Send a Cow & Tusk. Examples might be:
- Asking for a donation or an inappropriate level of donation
- Trying to engage you in activities about which you have no interest or no influence
Where you are not already a Send a Cow & Tusk supporter, we will provide this privacy notice to you at the first available opportunity after any engagement with you. If you have any questions about our supporter research work or if you would like to tell us more about yourself and your interests in relation to Send a Cow & Tusk please get in touch.
Send a Cow & Tusk’s trustees have a duty to ensure that there is no reputational or other risk to the organization in accepting a gift or other support. We may therefore need to carry out research which is necessary to ensure we comply with this duty. For more information on the type of information required and the circumstances when this might apply, you can visit the Charity Commission and refer to Chapter 2, Tool 6: Know your donor.
Please contact our Supporter Care team to make any updates to your information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or write to:
Supporter Care Team, Send a Cow & Tusk, Newton St Loe, Bath, BA2 9BR
Ensuring we have the right personal information is really important to us. If you wish to correct any information on you held by Send a Cow & Tusk please contact us on the details above
If you want to ask us to stop processing your personal data, we may continue to store your data to meet financial and other requirements. We will retain enough of your personal information to ensure that your request can be respected in the future.
If you want us to delete your data, please note that permanently removing your details means that we cannot guarantee to not contact you as we will no longer hold a record of your request.
We will keep information such as your name and address to ensure that we don’t mail you in the future if you have asked to be removed from our mailing lists.
We will keep your donation history and tax status on our database for 6 years as legally required for financial and Gift Aid auditing purposes.
We will keep some communication details where they are relevant to support administration of Gifts in Wills.
We will ensure that we hold the minimum amount of data to meet the purposes of supporting Send a Cow & Tusk’s charitable mission and will hold historical data for analysis in an anonymised format so it is no longer linked directly to your personal information.
We will check your preferences with you every 24 months to ensure that you are still happy with the way that we contact you. You can make changes at any time by emailing us at email@example.com or call 01225 874222
You can ask us if we are keeping any personal data about you and you can also request to receive a copy of that personal data – this is called a Subject Access Request.
To make a Subject Access Request you will need to provide adequate proof of identity such as a copy of your passport, birth certificate or driving licence before your request can be processed.
Please try to be as clear as possible about the information you are seeking.
Once we have received your Subject Access Request and proof of identity, you will receive a response from us within a month and you will be able to get copies of any information we hold on you. However, exemptions to disclosure may apply in some circumstances.
Subject Access Requests should be sent to:
Supporter Relationship Manager, Send a Cow & Tusk, The Old Estate Yard, Newton St Loe, Bath, BA2 9BR
Please note that repeated requests for a Subject Access Request could be subject to a small administrative charge to cover our costs.
Pages on the Send a Cow & Tusk websites include links to relevant content on www.livingwithwildlife.org.uk. This privacy notice also applies to this website. We regularly review our privacy practices and this notice, and may make changes from time to time. Any changes made will be posted to this page, and will apply from the time we post them. We will inform you directly of any significant changes. This privacy notice was last updated on 18th December 2019.
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website. Without these cookies, services you have asked for, like shopping baskets or e-billing, cannot be provided.
Our ordering system is set up to remember what you are purchasing for only one visit. For example, if you are purchasing several gifts, our system will keep track of what you are purchasing while you make your selections. To allow you to keep the items in your basket, we utilise temporary cookies to process your order.
To enable us to determine which of our emails are more interesting to our users, Send a Cow & Tusk emails may contain a single tracking pixel. This pixel can allow us to see whether emails are opened and also which links people click the most. The pixel will be deleted when you delete the email. If you do not wish the pixel to be downloaded to your device, please set your email client to receive plain text emails from us.
We value feedback and you have a right to object to how we process your personal information to support our charitable mission through marketing and research. If you have a concern at any time, please contact our Supporter Care team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
Send a Cow & Tusk, The Old Estate Yard, Newton St Loe, Bath, BA2 9BR
If you wish to lodge a complaint or seek advice from a supervisory authority, please contact the:
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 if you prefer to use a national rate number